This month it was my turn to host book club (aka food and wine club). I picked Peace Like a River by Leif Enger and even bought used books for everyone. Did that mean anyone read it? Not really. Although I must admit that more people got ALMOST through with it than normal. I can always count on my one sister-in-law to finish the book and she did not disappoint and loved the book.
I served these bruschettas, which the same sister-in-law I mentioned above dubbed crack cakes a few years back, saying they were like crack, you couldn’t get enough of them.
Bookclub didn’t have any discussion of the book, but every month I can count on laughing until I cry and this proved no exception.
Here is the recipe for crack cakes. Enjoy.
Date and Blue Cheese Bruschetta
1 loaf French bread, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
Extra virgin olive oil
8 ounces blue cheese
12-18 dates cut in 1/2 with pit removed
8 oz proscuitto
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brush both sides of bread with the olive oil and put on baking sheet.
3. Bake for 5 minutes. Flip and bake for five minutes more. Remove from oven.
4. Turn broiler to high and move rack up in oven.
5. Season bread with salt and pepper. Spoon a small amount of cheese onto bread to cover it.